Abdominoplasty Maximizes Quality of Life for Obese Patients

Abdominoplasty Maximizes Quality of Life | Dr. Shaun Parson, Scottsdale

Abdominoplasty Maximizes Quality of Life for Obese Patients

Better known as a tummy tuck, abdominoplasty isn’t just for patients at or near their goal weight and struggling with stubborn pockets of fat and loose skin. Dr. Shaun Parson Plastic Surgery & Skin Center is your premier tummy tuck clinic in Scottsdale, offering the life-changing procedure to a diverse array of patients. According to research published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the journal for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, tummy tucks lead to impressive patient satisfaction and better quality of life for those who are overweight or obese.

Tummy Tuck and BMI

The report shows that an “overwhelming majority” of these patients are pleased with their results. Researchers stress that, “A real quality of life improvement can be obtained by offering body contouring even in the face of obesity.” While minor post-operative complication risks are higher in overweight and obese patients, these risks can be managed in the care of a highly-skilled surgeon and are, ultimately, minor.

 A tummy tuck can dramatically improve the tummy appearance, and unfortunately, overweight and obese patients have historically been discouraged from having such aesthetic procedures. In the past, there have been concerns about how a high BMI can interfere with fast, safe recovery—but it seems that these concerns were exaggerated in many cases.

The researchers looked at tummy tuck results from 46 overweight or obese patients for 12 years following the procedure. The average patient age was 49, and all had a BMI higher than 25 (with the average at 32). BMIs of 25+ are considered overweight and a BMI of 30+ is obese.

In total, 80% of patients had a tummy tuck, which usually included strengthening ab muscles and/or fixing separated muscles. The other 20% strictly had a “panniculectomy” to remove hanging, loose skin. Although 39% did have minor complications, these were treated with antibiotics or office procedures. Fifteen months after their tummy tuck, 94% of patients said they liked their results and 97% said they would do it again.

Schedule Your Consultation

While there are additional considerations to take into account for obese and overweight patients interested in a tummy tuck, it may still be an option. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Shaun Parson Plastic Surgery & Skin Center today by calling (480) 282-8386.